Friday, April 8, 2016


Apipoulaï!

For my post today, I am adding this gem to the blog for those of you who are looking for yet another version of the soundtrack.  If it seems like I am obsessed with the music from this film, it's because I am.
First, this version of the soundtrack came out in 2014, accompanying special re-releases of some of Eric Serra's other scores for Luc Besson films.  This particular edition includes a special bonus track:  The Diva Dance remix by SWO, and it includes the music video for Little Light of Love.  Regardless of the redundancy of the tracks, this is a beautiful set enclosed in a glossy, gatefolded cardboard presentation, and includes a pretty sweet little booklet smattered with bits and pieces of Eric Serra's thoughts and captions.  It is a European release, so bear in mind that you will have to look for it under the French title.  SKU is 3 596972 999321, under Gaumont with exclusive rights to the Wagram Music label.  The number pressed next to the SKU and on the disc is 329932.  Happy hunting!


(I super suck at taking photos on my super suck phone but now I have a better camera so be patient)



Second, I often see a lot of confusion through posts about how to download and/or find Terii Taputo's version of Fanora Meherio from the film in its entirety.  Besides going to his site (addressed in an earlier post), there is no complete version of the song on any compilation (Japanese ISO, "promo" download, or even the "archival edition").  To my knowledge, filming for Taputo was an in and out job - done in one take and without needing to continue the song as he moves it into a traditional, fast-paced and enthusiastic island greeting song.  I believe he addresses this on his site (you can check), and therefore a collector will not find it whole, and the version on Taputo's site is arranged differently.  So what you find on the internet is exactly what I have on the archival edition and other versions.  It's simply not available in complete form because there was no completion during filming.  What you see and what you hear in the film are exactly what you get on these soundtracks because the song was never performed independently like the score; it was performed live during filming.  This is the reason I do not make it available for individuals to download.

As an aside, I kindly ask my readers to please refrain from asking me to upload other versions of the soundtracks and/or individual tracks.  It would make me very uncomfortable to do so - though I know it would make a lot of people very happy - my goal on this blog is to relay information so that readers may look on their own and acquire what they need by utilizing the information given.

Third, if you are looking for information on the 10th anniversary version, give me a little bit of time.  It is currently in residence at my mother's home and she refuses to give it back!  As soon as I can, I will be out there to photograph it and get back here with pictures and information for those who are looking for it.

In the meantime, here are some helpful tips in finding these versions and promo discs:

Search using the criteria in other languages - French, German, Spanish, and Italian will yield best results.  Try sites like eil.com or discogs.com.  Keep in mind that the variants are usually European releases.  Any Japanese release is generally labeled in English as well, and come with those cool little obi over the side of the cases.  I like the obi, some people can take it or leave it.

That's it for this post.  I have some "create your fandom" pictures of projects I am working on to share next time!

As usual, if you notice any errors or have questions, please feel free to comment.


2 comments:

  1. So good to see you're still posting updates! Always love seeing your updates on Fifth Element merch/other stuff, even though I rarely post here anymore. I'm ALWAYS on the lookout for the rare Fifth Element merchandise out there, so it's great to see someone actually successfully finding all this neat stuff, haha.

    I sent you an email recently about the 10th Anniversary Edition of the soundtrack, which thankfully I think I found is the real deal. One soundtrack down, I guess! I'm gonna try eil.com and discogs.com to find some of the others. Thanks so much for the heads up!

    Really hope you're doing okay on health-related issues, too. It sounds awful and I sincerely hope things improve for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there! I'm so glad to see you too! I'm sorry I didn't get back to you, but yes, I am alive and kicking and still collecting. Thanks for your good wishes. I did not get your email?

      Congrats on finding your soundtracks, that's fantastic!

      Delete